Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Big Weekend Wrap-Up

This post will be far less exciting than it sounds, I promise. Also, prepare yourself for the less than stellar iPhone pics.

It was a cold weekend here in Ohio, so we mostly stayed inside. I finished up a couple of projects. One was the emergency apron my husband asked me to sew. It was for his former boss who left her job to pursue full-time mothering. Good for her.

This is the first apron I've ever made with all solid fabric. I wasn't crazy about it, but Bob picked the fabric, so it's not on me.


It came together pretty quick. And I did like working with the unbleached muslin and linen. They both ironed up so crisp (and promptly wrinkled like crazy when folded).

The other project was a pair of pillows my aunt requested to give as gifts. They were fun, easy 18" square pillows made from half-square triangles (my favorite way to make anything). I brilliantly accidentally forgot to take pictures of them before they went in the mail on Saturday, (Oops) but they looked a lot like this:
If you're thinking to yourself "Ooh. What do I have to do to get a pillow like this?" I will gladly make you one for the low, low price of $25. Or two for $45. Add $10 each if you want me to provide the pillow form.

Aaaaaand that was a shameless plug for my sewing business.

Moving right along.

My mom's birthday was on Thursday, but with everyone busy with either work or school, we didn't celebrate until Sunday. Since I've been old enough to be a decent baker, I've tried to make her cake. Up until I was 16 or 17 she would have a Sara Lee Coconut Cream Layer Cake; delicious, but not nearly as tasty as what she would make for everyone else.

She requested chocolate cake this year. I made this cake with this frosting. A note on the frosting, I did one and a half batches, and it was barely enough to frost the split layers and the top/sides. So, if you're going to use it for a layer cake, DOUBLE IT. That being said, both the cake and frosting were easy to make and so ymmy. The cake was dense and the frosting light and whippy.

Tiny helped with the cake:
She didn't seem to think that the flour tasted good, but that didn't stop her from trying to eat it. Here's a picture of the cake (Top only, there was barely enough frosting to do the sides, and they were pitiful looking. Also, you can't tell how lopsided it was from the top.):
I couldn't resist the Valentine's Day sprinkles and pink candles. It is February, after all.

Tiny is working on her two bottom teeth, so we had a lot of this over the weekend:
It was rough. By Sunday night I was making the same face. And last night was great. We were up with her for about three hours in the middle of the night while she screamed and cried and kicked. (New birth control idea: have teenagers who have decided they're ready to get freaky with each other care for a teething infant for 24 hours. They'll never have sex. EVER.)

But it's a new week. I have two cups of tea and a piece of leftover chocolate cake in my system, and I'm ready to take on the world!!

See you soon!
XOXO
Ana



1 comment:

  1. Well, the cake was simply divine. I don't care if the sides weren't perfectly, thickly covered with frosting...it was beautiful and (more importantly) delicious! What I'd give for a tablespoonfull of that frosting right now. Almost forgot to mention the homemade toasted coconut icecreammmm.

    ReplyDelete